Saturday 22 August 2015

"It's the Wrong Trousers Gromit ... !"


So finally, after the longest summer holiday ever,  he could escape it no longer and it was time for the youngest member of Team Barlow to start his new school here in Arizona!

Last Sunday afternoon, the day before the start of school, I thought I had better just do one final check on the school website to make sure we hadn't missed anything.  It was there that I noticed an advisory stating that the 'formal uniform' would be required for school ID pictures on Wednesday.  Ethan's school uniform helpfully consists of not one, but two separate dress codes, thanks for that.   An everyday uniform, which comprises khaki shorts and a navy polo shirt; and a formal uniform required to be worn at certain events/ days throughout the school year, comprising long khaki trousers, white collared shirt and school tie.

Phew, thank goodness we had got all that sorted earlier in the summer **smiles smugly then immediately remembers ordering long trousers with 'unfinished length' which seemed such a good idea at the time but which now required hemming ... crap**
"Could you go and put your long school trousers on please with your belt and bring your shoes so that I can do the hems ..."  **cue eye rolling followed much huffing and puffing**
A few minutes later, 13 year old 'Kevin' (for those of you that remember Harry Enfield) shuffled into the lounge looking like the worst dressed scarecrow ever ...!  He was sporting a pair of long khaki trousers, which seemed to be the perfect length, but way too big around the waist, and pulled in by the belt bunched around his waist causing several large 'gathers', together with huge wadges of extra material round the hips, making him look like an extra from Lawrence of Arabia.   Dear God ... I thought to myself, how can he have lost that much weight in 8 weeks??!  closely followed by ...  and how the hell are we going to get some more by Wednesday?!
"What?" exclaimed the sulky one, watching my facial expression change from one of horror to  complete hysteria as I could hold it in no longer ...
"Oh, thanks Mum ... way to shatter my confidence...!"
"Well, I'm sorry, but you look ridiculous! **still guffawing loudly**  They weren't like that when we tried them on a few weeks ago were they?  I'll have to order you some more (Lands End being school uniform supplier) and you will just have to manage with those on Wednesday if they haven't come in time." Still trying desperately to stifle my laughter (and failing).
"You must be joking!  I will just have to be sick on Wednesday ..." Kevin wailed.
At this point,  Mr B, ever the diplomat, stepped in to offer words of sympathy and shepherd him off to help him get the rest of his stuff ready for the morning, muttering reassurances as they went.
A few minutes later, I heard Mr B exclaim from Kevin's bedroom ...
"Hang on a minute ... these are MY trousers!  I've been looking for these for ages!  Ethan's are here ... on the hanger underneath his shirt...!!!!"
Well, that was enough to send me into complete hysterics and half an hour later, tears were still rolling down my cheeks and my stomach ached from laughing.  Kevin was of course completely relieved,  and eventually saw the funny side before disappearing back into his bedroom amidst mutterings of  'for the love of God woman ... ' and 'why can't I just have normal parents...?'

The next morning, after getting up at stupid o clock, we set off bright and early in order to make the 20 minute drive to school and arrive by 7.45am ... ugh!  As we pulled up to the designated drop off point, I was under strict I instructions not to get out of the car, and especially not to shout any terms of endearment from the window. Trust me, I was soooo tempted, but thought I better not ruin his street cred on the first day - I'll maybe wait until next week for that! :D  All three 'Heads' (Middle School, Upper School and overall Head of School) were outside to welcome the existing students back and reassure the new ones, amid lots of high fiving, smiles and laughter ... the sunshine definitely a contributory factor here I think.   I watched for a minute or two as Ethan shuffled awkwardly past the over enthusiastic teaching staff before disappearing into the building, and then drove back to an eerily quiet house feeling a bit emotional - the last milestone of our big move successfully completed! 

I am so proud of how he has handled the whole move but in particular with regards to school.  It can't be easy as an adolescent 13 yr old to leave all your friends behind, move to a different country and start a brand new school where you know not a single person.  Yet, he has taken it all in his stride, showing a maturity way beyond his years.  Way to go Ethan! 

After what seemed like the longest day ever, I returned to the school at 3.15pm to pick up one happy 13 yr old, enthusing about what a great day he had had and how many new friends he had made ... well, actually I think his exact words were "yeah it was cool .. got loads of new snapchats and Instagram followers ..." How times have changed! 

The only slight negative seemed to be the school lunch.  Spoiled by the excellent lunches at his last school - choice of main dish, salad option, vegetarian option, baked potato, soup ... followed a choice of two desserts or fresh fruit - I think he got a bit of a shock!  
"What did you have for lunch?"
"Well it was supposed to be 'breakfast for lunch' day, but it was basically a sausage that wasn't a sausage and waffle flavoured rubber" Oh dear.
"Never mind, did you get a nice pudding?"
"No. They don't do pudding ..."
Oh.  Apparently not a piece of fresh fruit or a vegetable in sight (not that he would have eaten them anyway, but hey ...)
The menu didn't seem to improve much over the rest of the week either. Tuesday was a chicken burger with rice (?) and one piece of broccoli. Wednesday was pizza (which did get the thumbs up) and Thursday, "orange chicken nuggets, rice and some weird vegetable dish that looked the skin of a dead chicken so I didn't eat that .." (still haven't quite fathomed what that was supposed to be!)   Jamie Oliver - I think you may have your next project right here!

I have to say that I am alarmed by some of the food choices in general over here, not to mention the additives and chemicals that seem to be in everything, probably accounting for the seemingly never ending shelf life of so many items.  The other day I asked for some minced beef at the butchers counter of the local supermarket 
"Which one would you like?"
"What's the difference"
"Well, do you want the organic one that's free from growth hormones  ... or the other one?"
Growth hormones??!  What the hell?!!

The rest of the school week thankfully continued to go well, and even the test in his U.S. History class didn't seem to dull his spirits as he cheerfully informed me ...
"We had a test in History today on the U.S. Government.  Just so you know, I am probably getting an F .."  Ah.  "I have no idea who wrote the Declaration of Independence and I don't even know what the constitution is, never mind what the first 10 'amendments' are called..."  Lol. Guessing we may have to reset our expectations for that class then ...

Meanwhile, I had been having my own school experience attending the first PTA meeting of the new school year.  (I thought I had better show willing as we were new).  After introducing themselves, and outlining their various roles, the PTA committee proceeded to share the calendar of planned events they would be running throughout the year,  seeking the usual volunteers for each and referring more than once to the sign up sheets at the back of the room.  Oh God.  Wonder if I can swerve that for now until I become a bit more familiar with how it all works.  Not a chance.  One whiff of a British accent and I was declared the perfect candidate to help with the 'Mother's Tea' planned for December!  I swear to God they think that's all the Brits do ... sit around drinking tea and eating crumpets.  Think I might suggest a Mary Berry  'Technical Bake Off' challenge and get them all to make a Victoria sponge and a plate of scones.  Ha! (Although, I think I might be more of a Mel than a Mary!). Will have to give that some thought before December.

All in all it turned out to be a very busy week ... and I haven't even mentioned the ballroom dancing yet!   I'll save that for another time though or you'll all be in your pyjamas by the time you've finished!

TTFN and thanks for stopping by
Bev x






No comments:

Post a Comment