Saturday 23 April 2016

App-y Weekend ... !

Hi folks!  How's your weekend going?  Up to much?

I am in the midst of helping Ethan pack for his school trip on Sunday night ... well, when I say helping, I appear to be doing all the packing whilst he stands there looking gormless.  I had to smile at the instructions received from school ... "students should be dropped at school by 12am (to avoid confusion that's 11.59pm Sunday night)..." If they had just put midnight I am sure it would have been clearer.  But then again ...

They are off to Catalina Island in California for the week to study marine biology (which is infinitely more exciting than the day trip to Scarborough on a rattly old coach that stunk of hard boiled eggs and sweaty cheese sandwiches that I recall at the same age!).  Kayaking, hiking, snorkeling etc., not to mention bunking in basic 'open air cabins'  ... ugh, my idea of hell!  Strangely, Ethan is actually looking forward to it, although is already having an anxiety attack at the thought of having to live without wifi for 5 days.  Lol.  And, what's more, they may actually have to talk to each other face to face instead of on Snapchat as apparently there is no mobile phone signal either ... shock horror!  :D

Whilst on the subject of Apps (ok, so it was a rather tenuous link), I have to admit I would be completely lost without mine (although not for talking to people ... I still use the old fashioned way for that).  There are some really great ones out there, if you can find them amongst the dross (and yes, there are also lots of rubbish ones.  Did you know that developers are currently submitting over 1,000 new apps per day to Apple for approval?!).  Anyway, this week I thought I would share with you another  of my 'Top 10' lists, this time for the Apps I am loving right now.  I am not sure whether all of these are available for Android platforms as well as we are all Apple disciples in this house, but I know some of them definitely are.   I am not including Facebook, Instagram or Twitter on here as it goes without saying that I am a BIG fan of those, but am assuming everyone already knows about those. You will also note that my list is heavy on 'photography' type apps, as I love to take photographs (but you knew that too didn't you?!)

Here are my favorites, in no particular order (please note that I am not affiliated with any of these, nor do I receive any renumeration/commission from any of them):

1. Project Life  (Available on iTunes and Android).

Whilst most of you know that I am big fan of scrapbooking and have used the physical version of 'Project Life' for the last 3 years to capture everyday moments and record them in family journals, this app now gives the option to capture digitally if that is your preference.  You simply drag your photos onto the virtual page, pick a journalling card, add your related thoughts and memories and Voila!  Done in a flash.  What's more you can now get these printed as individual pages or as a complete bound book.    As I am still more of a physical scrapbooker, I tend to use it as a planning tool to decide which (of the many!) photos I want to put into my album, see what they look like on the page and then capture my journalling on the go ... waiting at school pick ups, at the Orthodontist (where I seem to spend a lot of time hanging around for Ethan!) or even whilst on holiday, so that I don't forget any of the little details. Here is a link to the main website if you are interested in reading more about it.  Project Life App


2. Little Moments - Photo a day app.

If like me, you like to take lots of photographs and want to improve your photography whilst having a bit of fun doing it, Fat Mum Slim runs a daily photo challenge.    For example, here is the list for this month:




The iPhone/iPad app sends you a daily reminder of the prompt and from there you can use the fun editing tools and also upload directly to FB or Instagram if you want to play along with others.   

Pic stitch

3. Pic stitch (available on iTunes/Android/Windows)

This is a free photo editing app which allows you to make a collage with your photos.  Useful if you want to print photos and don't necessarily want an individual 6x4 print of a particular shot but want to include it somewhere in your album.  A collage is the way to go!


Over
4. Over (iTunes/Android)

This app is great for adding text and artwork to your photos.  You can buy additional artwork to add to your photos from the app if you choose, but it also offers free daily artwork too.
Over


Producer
5. Producer

This app is a really fun free app which can turn any of your photos into a Meme!  There are also some stock photos for you to use and then you can just whatever text you want over it.  There are lots of other apps which do this too, but this one was the first one I found which was free and is very easy to use.  (In case you have been hibernating for the last few years and are wondering what on earth a Meme is, here is an example). Lol




Wunderlist
6.  Wunderlist

I would be lost without this app!  I love a list ... or two ... and especially as I have advanced in years **ahem** I find I have to make more and more of them in order to organize my life!  Groceries ... items for school ... packing for holidays ... books I want to read ... films I want to watch ... you get the idea.  I like that I can create a list on my iPad whilst I am watching TV in the evening and it automatically syncs to my phone so that when I am at the supermarket the next day I don't have to worry that I forgot my list! I love it!  It also gives every item on your list a little checkbox and has a very satisfying 'ping' as you check something off.  (I have been known to add tasks to my lists in the past that I have already  completed just to have the satisfaction of ticking them off! #saddo).  You can read more about it here ... Wunderlist 

My Fitness Pal
7. My Fitness Pal

Whilst I hate to admit that a Fitness app is included amongst my Top 10 apps, I have to confess that I do use this one on a regular basis.  I cannot 'diet' to save my life... the minute I think I am 'on a diet' I immediately want cream cakes, chocolate and chips, when ordinarily I do not crave these things .. well, maybe the chocolate occasionally.  Whilst the app does more than just count calories for you (you can link it up to one of those Fitbit contraptions if you are an addict, mentioning no names ... Mr B and Sharon!) that is really all I use it for.   Every so often, when I realize that I have perhaps been 'over indulging' somewhat I go back to the app.  You enter your current weight and how much you would like to use and Hey presto! it works out how many calories a day you need to eat (or more importantly for me, not eat!) and pretty much every food I have eaten is on there, together with not just calories, but how much fat, carbs, protein etc. is in each thing if you are tracking that too (I just sticking to calories).  I am not very strict with it (understatement!) and usually end up going over my daily allowance, but not as much as I would if I were not using it.  It just makes me question whether I actually really need that extra glass of wine or not ... OK so that was a bad example ... maybe an 'extra biscuit' would be a more appropriate example here :D   If by some mere fluke you do happen to accidentally exercise during the day, you can add that in too and it will work out how many extra calories you can then have as a result.  I started using it again two weeks ago to track what I was eating and without consciously 'dieting' have already lost 4 pounds!  Result!  


Spotify
8.  Spotify

I have always loved listening to music and love the fact that with Spotify I can listen to more or less any song I like, by any Artist (with a few exceptions ... although the Beatles catalogue has now recently been added .. yay!) whether I actually own a copy of it or not.   The free version (which is what I use) does have the odd commercial every few songs or so but it is no more annoying than listening to the radio and I tend not to notice them.  You can also pay a subscription for the premium version which is Ad free.  You can make up your own Playlists and save them for future listening; listen to other people's playlists, listen to the latest new releases or golden oldies if that is your thing.   Currently, as I type this, I am listening to an old Funk/Soul compilation and yesterday it was tracks from the latest hot new Rock bands. Connect to your Bluetooth speaker and crank up the volume. Love it!

Around Me
9.  Around Me

Visiting somewhere for the weekend and need to find the nearest ATM? The nearest coffee shop?.  En route to a friend's and need to buy some flowers?  This App will show you where plus give you the walking and/or driving directions to get you there.  We have used this many times when on holiday and didn't want to pay the hotel's extortionate prices for a decent breakfast!


Cascade
10.  Cascade

I am not generally one for playing mindless games on my phone or iPad.  I never really got the whole Candy Crush thing and requests from Facebook friends to help them grow crops on their farm used to drive me insane, but I have to say that I am totally hooked on this game that I came across recently.  It is totally addictive!  Mr B has been away this week and I have sat down after dinner intending to just have a quick 5 minutes and the next thing I know I have lost two hours!   Great if you are stuck somewhere and have time to kill, but probably not a distraction you want to indulge in if you need to actually get anything done!  You have been warned!

So that's a quick look at my current favourites.  I'm sure there are lots of similar apps that do the same thing - its all a matter of personal preference - and I'm sure if you ask me for my Top 10 in a couple of months they may all be different but for now these are the ones I use on a regular basis.  Check 'em out and who knows, maybe you will find a new favourite!

TTFN
Bev x

No comments:

Post a Comment