Saturday 5 September 2015

Beam me up ...!

Hello again - how's your week been?

I understand that this season's series of Strictly has started again in the UK.  I am missing it already **sniff**   I think though, that I may have found a way of watching it from across the pond, via an App called Tunnel Bear, which simulates a UK VPN allowing you to connect to sites such as iPlayer as if you were in the UK.   Result!  Have only tried the free version for now though, which only allows a small amount of data per month, but so far so good.   If it works then I will definitely be subscribing to the full version!   The US version of Strictly ... Dancing with the Stars ... starts here in a couple of weeks though, so if all else fails,  I will still be able to get my fix - plus we get to have Artem back ... **swoon**

On a related note, Mr B and I are still making progress at our dance lessons.  In fact, we are doing so well that we passed this week's 'progress check' with flying colors, and have now graduated from the Beginners Program and moved onto the 'Social Foundation' programme (?) four weeks early!  Watch out James & Orla! All together now ... da da da da, da da dahhh ... da da da da dah!

I think Mr B and I have also made a great impression on a few of Ethan's teachers.  Not least his Biology teacher, as he came home with some homework earlier this week which entailed asking three members of his family to list what they thought were the '8 characteristics of life' (without the help of Google!).  Oh Lord!  Well, after exhausting my initial list of the essentials such as water, sunlight, oxygen etc. I was still two short ... ha!  got it .... chocolate and wine.  There, that makes 8!  Ethan reported back with much hilarity to his school friends later that evening whilst on their regular evening Skype call (because they hadn't seen each other since at least 3pm) which apparently was met with an incredulous "Oh. My. God!" :0)   24 hours later he took great pleasure in informing us that I had only got one right,  (reproduction in case you were wondering), Mr B didn't get any (he had gone with the love, honesty, hard work angle ...obviously) and Ben had done the best and got five (although apparently 'partying' was incorrect) **gobsmacked!** ... he soooo cheated!  His teacher did ask him to let me know though that Chocolate and Wine were numbers 9 and 10.  (Note to self - best swerve Biology at next parents evening ...)

We have also had another week of dentist visits ... **ker-ching!**

Mr B went for his initial registration/check up and came home two and a half hours later looking like he had had a stroke!  After the initial check up with the dentist, he was ferried in to see the hygenist who informed him she needed to perform a 'deep clean', promptly numbing his mouth on both sides as it was 'so bad' and tutting all the while about the quality of cleaning in the UK **gasp**.  


I had already had my initial visit and 'deep clean torture' at which time our (rather dishy) dentist had gleefully informed me that I required 3 small fillings ... **ker-ching!** ... and so it was for this reason that I also found myself back there this week.  As the dental assistant ushered me into the chair to await the arrival of the man himself, she explained that once she had reclined the chair, I would be able to see the large TV screen on the ceiling and would I like to select something from Netflix to watch?  What a good idea, I thought!  The perfect distraction whilst at the dentist!

Hmmm ... what to watch though?  I know ...  how about Orange is the New Black?  I had seen lots of rave reviews on the show and had been meaning to watch it for ages ... Perfect!  When I informed the dental assistant of my choice, she looked slightly surprised for a moment, but quickly recovered advising that 'lots of clients' chose that show and did I know which episode I was on?
"Oh I haven't seen any of them yet", I advised, "so just start at the first episode if that's OK?"
Well, just five minutes in I realized (five minutes too late)  this was probably not the most appropriate thing to be watching at the dentist.

Picture the scene if you will ...  there I am, fully reclined, headphones on,  incapable of speech (as mouth stuffed with what felt like huge tampons soaked in vile local anesthetic), when to my horror I found myself watching an explicit lesbian sex scene in a prison shower ... OMG!  Right on cue,  enter dishy dentist.  OMG!!!   God only knows what he must have thought.  I have never been so embarrassed in my entire life.  To his credit, I only detected the slightest raise of an eyebrow, as he proceeded to numb what felt like my entire face and then launch into the Spanish inquisition ... can you feel anything if I stab you with this sharp torture implement?  ... does your mouth feel like you have got a big fat lip?  No? ... how about now?  etc., etc.  to which I could only shake my head or nod, whilst dribbling like the village idiot and blushing the color of a boiled beetroot.  Note to self ... on next visit to Dishy Dentist, you can't go wrong with an episode of Friends ....!

Let's hope next week is a less embarrassing one!

TTFN
x


No comments:

Post a Comment