Saturday 21 November 2015

Be Our Guest ...!

Hi All ... How was your week?  I seem to have spent most of this week being tortured in some shape or form.  If it wasn't 'doing needles' with my sadistic Physiotherapist (miraculously though, it does seem to be helping and the shoulder is feeling a lot better), it was at school!

In addition to the usual daily drop offs and pick ups, this week I have attended:

  • 1 x Committee Meeting for the 'Mother's Tea' event - in case you were wondering, Miss SA is currently 3-1 up due to an opponent 'no show' for the last two meetings :/ 
  • 1 x PTSA meeting - a total of 6 parents this time and one of those was seemingly only there to whinge about the upcoming Mother 's Tea ... "the speaker is talking about Gardening?!" ... alright lady, don't get your Manolos in a twist ...  not my cup of tea (excuse the pun) either but  I was outvoted.  Apparently the Celebrity Chef wanted $5,000 and Gardener Lady is free OK?
  • 1 x High School Information Night - somewhat informative, but most of the information I had already discovered for myself or gleaned on previous occasions so an evening I could have well lived without (Mr B by the way, was conveniently 'at a meeting' in Las Vegas ...)
  • 1 x Fine Arts Showcase - I know they are all someone's little darling and they all try their best but  two hours listening to squeaky violins, farting trumpets and an over enthusiastic drummer, is a lot for anyone to bear (... Mr B was 'on his way back' from Las Vegas and sadly not able to make it, although miraculously he was already at home, unpacked and sitting with a beer watching TV when I got home ... funny that).  I do have to say though that I was very impressed by one young man from the High School who performed an excellent contemporary dance number ... or maybe I was just grateful for a break in the death by orchestra programme ...

the lovely Lucille! (centre front)
On Friday evening we were invited to a neighbour's 'Housewarming' party.  (A bit odd I thought as she has lived there for 3 years apparently, but has now bought the property instead of renting, so I suppose it still counts).  We weren't really sure what to expect as this was our first US style party, but it actually turned out to be a really fun night, well for Mr B and I.  There were at least 25 other neighbors there, but sadly for Ethan, all were either our age or older (well, OK, most were a lot older!) and so after doing really well for the first hour, repeating his name, age and what school he went to at least 20 times over,  he decided he would rather throw himself at the mercy of the coyotes and havalinas than endure another two hours with 'a bunch of old people' ... charming ... and so walked back home leaving Mr B and I to get further acquainted.  I have to say they were all a very friendly bunch and I got on famously with one lady in particular.  Her name was Lucille, she was an Italian pastry chef and danced a mean Charleston.  Nothing unusual about that you may be thinking.  Except she was 94 years old (95 next week), lived on her own, still cooked every day (she brought pastries and homemade chocolates to the party) and had a wicked sense of humour!  She was absolutely amazing.  I hope I am as spritely as she is when I get to that age!  She has invited me round for a coffee and I will definitely take her up on it - I bet she has some stories to tell!

At the Farmers Market
Today, we spent a lovely morning wandering around the Farmers Market in Old Town Scottsdale and  exploring a local Art Festival.  I still have to pinch myself at times, especially as we stroll along under bright blue skies bathed in warm sunshine ... at the end of November! It's days like today that remind us why we moved here.


... on a Mission!
Native American Sculpture




The 'holiday season' seems to have kicked off in earnest now and the shops are full of everything Christmas and lights seem to be going up left, right and center.  

Seriously?

We have also been invited to lots of dinners and parties over the next few weeks (lucky us!), starting with Thanksgiving dinner next week which will be a first for us.  We are all looking forward to experiencing the holidays 'American style'  - trying more new things and making more new friends.  Bring it on! 

Hope you all have a good week and thanks for stopping by!
TTFN
Bev x


No comments:

Post a Comment