Saturday 14 November 2015

Rest, Relaxation and ..... Robots?!

This week, Mr B's Mum, Mary, came to visit from across the pond and it was lovely to see her after almost 8 months!  (it was equally lovely though to see the two jars of Bisto Best gravy granules, Sainsbury's Mincemeat and large bar of Galaxy ...)



In addition to various shopping excursions, a card making class, and time lazing by the pool, we also spent a very pleasant morning at the Desert Botanical Gardens this week.  As well as the impressive display of cacti, succulents and other native Sonoran plants, we were also lucky enough to see lots of tiny hummingbirds sipping nectar from fiery trumpet shaped blooms and the odd butterfly or two.  One of my favorite birds and so beautiful to watch (but much harder to capture on film!)

Happy Hour for the hummingbirds!


On Friday, it was off the the Arts & Crafts Festival at nearby Fountain Hills.  This was a HUGE festival with all kinds of art and er ... crafts... for sale.

Fountain Hills Arts & Crafts Festival

My favorite though, was a local artist called Alexi Devilliers who makes robots from empty food cans that have been used to feed the elderly and homeless.  The proceeds from the sale of his Tin Can Artworks go to purchase more food for the homeless from which he makes more tin can art, so he can purchase more food for the homeless ....  you get the gist.    I kind of like that idea :)  Here's a link to his website Alexidevilliers.com if you want to check out his story.


Some were even turned into functioning lamps and I was really tempted to buy one for Ethan to have on his desk in his bedroom.  Mr B however, added a note of caution, warning that he might find them too 'freaky' (he has a thing about clowns) and so I decided to wait and show him a picture when we got home first.  I could always then nip back and buy one over the weekend.
*Later that afternoon ...*
"Look at these robots ... aren't they cool?!"
"Er ... yeah, I guess ..."
"Would you like one as a lamp for your bedroom?"
"Eurghhhh No! ... It would be watching me all the time ... Freaky!"
**Tuts and raises eyes heavenward**  Oh well, I tried ... I thought they were really fun and particularly fell in love with 'Kevin'.  I may go back and buy one anyway!

Kevin
OK, I suppose this one is kind of freaky ... Lol!

A few days earlier, whilst out shopping with Mary, we had seen a lady pushing three small dogs around a shop in a pushchair (or stroller depending on which side of the pond you live! ... hope that meets with your approval Richie?!)  At the time I wondered whether perhaps they were old and arthritic ... or incontinent?... and she was maybe worried about leaving them at home on their own (yes alright ... even that was a stretch ... if I'm being completely honest, I just thought she was an eccentric old bat).  At the Festival though, I noticed another pampered pooch being wheeled around by it's doting owner, and then another ... and another ... and another! Seriously?  The second hand pushchair business must be booming!  And then we came across a stall selling these ...

'Pet Strollers' ...!
Good grief.  What is wrong with these people?!  Do they not know that if you take your dog out for a walk, they are supposed to ... how shall I put this? .... bloody well WALK!!  I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't dressed up in bonnets and matinee jackets and tucked in with a nice fluffy blanket when the temperatures drops another few degrees.  

Oh America!

TTFN
Bev x










No comments:

Post a Comment