Saturday 7 November 2015

Shake, Rattle & Roll ...!

This week, the weather here has been truly GORGEOUS (well, aside from the odd earthquake - more of that in a minute).  As I write, I am sitting outside in the warm sunshine, cooled by a delicious breeze, and the only sounds I can hear are birds singing and the odd plane passing overhead ... heaven!  If this is winter in Arizona then bring it on, I am loving it!

The week started however, on a slightly more unnerving note.  Around 11.30 pm Sunday night, after just dropping into a deep sleep, I was suddenly woken by a deep rumbling sound and a weird sensation that the room was shaking.  Good grief! What was in that Margarita?!  It only lasted for around 10 seconds or so, and so I decided that it was probably just next door moving their wheelie bin (noisy b*stards) and held the tequila responsible for the weird shaking sensation.  The next morning though, after turning on the TV, I discovered that there had actually been 3 small earthquakes the previous evening in Camp Verde, Arizona (some 60 km NW of here), the largest measuring 4.1 at 11.30!! Holy Crap! Scary stuff!

After half an hour of frantic googling I discovered that generally though, whilst Arizona does have fault lines running through it, they tend not to be very big and don't go off very often (we have experienced similar back in the UK). Phew.  Even so, let's hope that was the last one for a very long time!

That morning I also had my first Physio session for a rotator cuff injury to my shoulder.
"How are you with needles?", the therapist asked cheerfully.
"Sorry, what?!"
Turns out she was 'one of only a few' trained in the practice of "needle therapy". Oh good.  She went on to explain that it was similar to acupuncture, except instead of applying needles to specific areas of the body as in traditional eastern medicine, these were applied directly to the area of pain to cause 'trauma' to the wounded area and encourage the body to start its own natural healing process.  Great.  Sounds like a laugh a minute.  It was actually only mildly uncomfortable and has seemed to help a bit.  Only another 7 treatments to go ... !  **wonders whether you can advertise kidneys for sale on eBay?**

On Tuesday, as promised, Mr B held his 'British Tea Party' at work after encouraging his team to exceed their 'Give2gether' charity goal, and the tea, warm scones, butter, cream & jam were duly delivered and by all accounts well received.  Amazingly,  it was also the first time that some of the group had ever had hot tea! ... I know!  Not sure that it was quite as well received as the scones, but
apparently at least some are now converted and I received some lovely messages from the team afterwards (mainly asking whether they could have the same every Tuesday!)  Well done Mr B!

On Thursday I went along to a breakfast organised by the 'Newcomers' group I have joined in our area.  I had already met a few of the ladies at the scrapbooking group but it was so nice to make more new acquaintances and just hang out together (over delicious French toast with a pecan crust and warm maple syrup in case anybody's interested!).  They are such a lovely group of ladies, willing to share not only their friendship and local knowledge, but also their time and generosity.  One of them has even invited all of us to her home for Thanksgiving dinner as she didn't want us to be on our own for our first Thanksgiving holiday.  This week we also learned that a close friend of one of the group is currently battling stage 4 cancer and as well as having two young teenagers, also has 3 year old twins :(  Less than 24 hours later, emails with suggested menus had been distributed amongst the group and volunteers signed up to provide meals for the family each day for the rest of the month, including the co-ordination of collecting and delivering the same on a weekly basis.  What a marvellous group of women and one I feel privileged to be a part of.   It certainly puts things into perspective and reminds me to give myself a slap when I am sulking because my hair hasn't gone right or I can't find my favourite chocolate at the supermarket!

Have a good week and be nice to each other.



Bev x

No comments:

Post a Comment