Saturday 21 May 2016

Talking Heads and Fairy Tales ...!

Hi Folks! How was your week?

I have been hampered by a painful calf strain this week which I managed to do at this week's dance class on Monday, and so have mostly been hobbling around cursing and feeling cross with myself.  Actually, I did the same thing the week before on the same leg, but as it seemed to clear up in a few days I thought I would be OK for this week's class.  Clearly not as it has now been 5 days and it's still almost as painful as when I did it.  After a rotator cuff injury last year (which hasn't healed properly) and now this, I think my body is rebelling.  I can hear it now ... "for the love of God woman, what do you think you're doing?  What's wrong with knitting?!" I guess I won't be going to any more classes for a week or two.  Damn!  

As I couldn't get out and about as much this week, I used the time indoors to get crafty and made myself a couple of things to sparkle up my week. What do you think? Lol.





Oh, and also this happened ...

A couple of weeks ago I received an email from the Chairman of the school PTO (Parent Teacher Organization) which began "Congratulations!  You have been nominated for the following positions on the PTO board ..."  What?!  Oh God.

The fact that I had hitherto never expressed any interest in being part of the PTO board, seemed neither here nor there, my only crimes being an accomplice in the organization of the dreaded 'Mother's Tea' event last year (and only then because I was 'volunteered' by someone who could spot a British accent at a thousand paces and therefore I was deemed to be an 'expert') and attending the monthly PTO meeting.   Clearly out of the handful of parents that ever turned up I had a face that screamed "Pick Me! Pick Me!".  Of course, there was a Get Out of Jail Free card at the end of the email which asked you to confirm by return whether you were accepting or declining the nomination(s), but given that I don't work or have any other commitment that would prevent me from accepting (a fact clearly already noted by said Chairman),  it would have felt extremely awkward to decline all of the nominations #cornered!  Quite a clever approach really.

Fast forward to this week and the poison chalice was delivered ... "Congratulations!  Your nomination for Vice President has been successful. Welcome to the Board!"  ... **Noooooo!** (although it could have been worse as Secretary was the other position).  In reality, what this really means is that 'everybody else has already run a million miles in the opposite direction and you were the only one left that fell for it'.   Having attended a brief meeting this week though to 'Introduce the new Board members' (of which I was the only one that turned up ... see, I'm my own worse enemy, ), I have decided that in retrospect, it may actually be of mutually benefit.  For me, it might add a new focus and give me something to do and for them ... well, if that meeting was anything to go by hopefully I will be able to offer up some good old British common sense!  Let me explain ...

There has been a bit of a shake up this term in the Administration department, and a new Head of School has recently been recruited (I may have mentioned that the previous Head of School was 'let go' early after she applied for a new post in the British Virgin Islands and unbeknown to her, said school reached out to solicit feedback not only from parents but also to her boss, whom she had failed to notify of her intent to post  ... oh dear).  Anyway, the new Head arrived a couple of weeks go and has jumped right in, including attendance of his first PTO board meeting.   A promising start, I thought.   This quickly turned to despair though, as I listened to the existing members complain about the existing communication system (or lack of it) and how they were frustrated that time sensitive messages they needed to get out to parents about events and activities were left sitting on someone's desk until the last minute due to a reluctance to 'over communicate' and as there were two other emails being sent out to parents that week, it would have to wait until the following week.  Oh good grief.  As I sat there quietly, trying not to interfere (as I was technically not part of the circus until next term) listening to more complaints and for want of a better word, whining,  about the plethora of emails that were received from school in a week from various sources ... teachers, sports coaches, technology dept., reminders about events etc. as well as the weekly newsletter from each of the Heads,  and how many of them weren't relevant for their child etc. etc. (surely one click of a mouse on the trash can symbol resolves that doesn't it?) I could contain myself no longer.

"Erm ... just as a suggestion ... couldn't you just send out one consolidated weekly newsletter every Friday afternoon which includes all updates from the current week and then all the information parents need to know for the coming week, sports fixtures, reminders, upcoming events etc.?  Ethan's old school used to do this and as it was in PDF format, you could just use the bookmarks and skip over any sections that you weren't interested in or weren't applicable of your child.  Then you just need one person to collect and collate the copy each week and send it out?"    I looked around nervously thinking they must think I am completely stupid as clearly that approach was so obvious there must be some other reason why they didn't do that already (but buggered if I knew what). The new Head looked over at me nodding his head ...
"Ooh, now I like that idea ... a weekly newsletter ... yes, great idea".  Similar mumblings from the rest of the board.
Seriously people??! It's not rocket science surely?!!  If Americans did sarcasm, I would have taken his response as such, thinking he was about to offer up the reason that they couldn't do it this way because of ... whatever ... but he was deadly serious.  I was further gobsmacked when someone then added that the Communications person could be the point of contact and responsible for issuing maybe?  Whaaaaaat???!  They even have a Communications person and it's still a dog's breakfast?! (as an ex colleague in Australia would have said ;)

Sign me up, swear me in ... whatever you need to do ... I can't wait to get started.  Don't panic - the British are coming! (although on reflection that didn't go so well for us last time did it?).  Watch this space ... Curry and Quiz night will be the first item on the agenda (although it will probably end up being something like Tacos and Trivia here, lol .. )

Have a great week and thanks for dropping by,
TTFN
Bev x



No comments:

Post a Comment