Saturday 7 May 2016

"I said a hip hop, the hippie, the hippie, to the hip, hip hop and youdon't stop ... "!



Phew, what a week! I don't know about you but I am exhausted!  Although to be fair I was exhausted by lunchtime on Monday.

 As I mentioned in a post a couple of weeks back, after deciding I really did need to do some form of regular exercise (in order to counteract all those Friday Happy Hours!) I have been trying out various classes offered at Eutopia a local dance & fitness studio.  After deciding that perhaps jazz hands and tap shoes are not really my thing, I have subsequently tried:

  • Old School Dance Cardio with Oscar - fun choreographed routines to club classics from the likes of Janet Jackson, NSYNC and how could you miss Prince this week? (Let's go crazy ... **sad face**).  I haven't quite mastered the coordination required though to do the required 'opposite arm to leg' element though which for me is as hard as trying to rub your stomach whilst patting your head! By the end of the class I was definitely feeling the 'old' in Old School! (Note to self: maybe rethink the pink top next time as not a flattering combination with puce face). 
  • Dance Fusion with Kristine - a fun, high energy class set to all the latest tunes - just like being down the club with your mates on a Saturday night really!  I loved it and am definitely planning on being a regular to this class!  
  • Hip Hop Cardio with Jonathan  (much to the kid's amusement ... well not so much amusement to be fair, more complete mortification ...  Eldest's reaction was "Oh Jesus! and Youngest's "aargh!  my eyes are bleeding!'  Charming).   Jonathon, the instructor, is a lovely kid (well, I say 'kid' - he must be in his mid 20s lol) although I'm pretty sure having his street cred severely handicapped by a group of middle aged women is not the best start to his week.   Hip hop has always been one of my favorite genres of music though and so dancing round to cool tunes, old and new, for an hour on a Monday morning does not really feel like a chore.  Getting the nifty footwork right though is another matter entirely and as our Jonathan is a man of few words, you really just have to muddle along behind him trying not to fall over (I swear that boy has rubber ankles!)  Now and then, when he gets bored, he likes to throw in a few body popping moves to amuse himself and then snickers at the ensuing chaos behind him.  Cheers ... very funny.  Never mind The Real Housewives... look out for 'Gangsta Grannies - Coming soon!'  
In all seriousness though, finally a great workout that I actually look forward to doing, and at such a great friendly place - Huzzah!

Anyway, when I got back from class on Monday morning, I was hotter than Satan's house cat and had to hurl myself into the pool at once.  I swear you could hear the sizzle as I jumped in.  As much as I would have liked to lounge about on the sofa of the rest of the day sadly that was not an option.  Oh no.  In case you weren't aware, this week is Teacher Appreciation Week ... and yes, I did say week ... and so as well as the cards I had already made for each of Ethan's teachers, I had also volunteered to bake goodies to take in on a couple of days this week for said teachers as part of the daily themed events the PTO had organised.  




Today I had another Quiche to make - a special request from Ethan's Yearbook teacher.  You may recall I had recently made one for the Yearbook class lunch that the students gave to thank all the other teachers and staff who had helped/provided content for this year's yearbook.  Apparently it was a big success, not least with said Yearbook teacher who according to Ethan had been "banging on about it ever since".  Lol.  I don't really know why, it was nothing special -  just a bog standard Quiche Lorraine from a tried and trusted recipe I have always used, which I think was originally from Delia Smith (you can't go wrong with a Delia can you?).  She had even been to Whole Foods (think Marks & Spencer and Waitress combined) and bought one but apparently it was not at all the same.  She had been asking Ethan for the recipe, which I eventually got round to typing up last week, (all the while mumbling to myself "has she never heard of Google?' and "there's bloody hundreds of 'em on Pinterest") and emailed it over.  When I picked Ethan up after school the next day, he said she had told him that she collects recipes and is making them all to into a book to pass down to her daughters, **awwww!** so she was instantly forgiven - what a lovely idea.  Ethan then went on to advise that she had asked where the recipe came from (clue's in the name love) and a bit of background about where we came from in England so that she could add the details to the recipe. 
"Did you tell her it was from Delia Smith?" 
"Er ... not exactly ... she assumed it was some secret recipe handed down through the family for generations, so I couldn't just say it was Delia Smith!  I just said it was something your Mum used to make ..." which I suppose technically was not a lie, but still ... :/




I spent most of Tuesday morning baking cookies ready to drop off at school on Wednesday (in case you're wondering - Chewy Cranberry & White Chocolate - to die for! - from The Domestic Rebel - your welcome) followed by a quick trip to Costco to purchase a pair of Movie Ticket vouchers (also for Teacher Appreciation Week - to go in their Hollywood themed goody bags apparently!) before pick up.   I must say I liked the idea of making a contribution to an overall event (or series of events!) rather than having to come up with individual teacher gifts - made it way less stressful ... I think! 

Time for a quick drink and a snack ... oh look, one of these cookies is broken **stuffs in mouth whilst convincing self that as it was broken all the calories will have fallen out anyway**  ...before it was time to struggle into the spandex again for the next class!

On Wednesday (Star Wars Day!) after tackling the magic ironing mountain (friend of the magic washing basket), I decided a couple of hours of crafting therapy was very much needed and so I disappeared off into my craft room (which Mr B thinks is his office, bless) to have a go at a few projects I had seen and been itching to try.  I can't think of a better hobby to have - totally relaxing and a great way to switch off from everything else


Ta da!  This purse gift bag is made entirely of paper, plus a few blingy brads (split pins) on the trim.  So cute, and the possibilities are endless.   I think these may now be the latest obsession - I can't stop making them!


This one has a pocket on the front to fit a gift card ... squeak!

Finally to round off the week, tonight (Friday) is the 7th & 8th Grade Spring Formal Dance and Ethan informs me he has a date!  Whaaaaaat?  When did he get so grown up all of a sudden?!  I would so love to be a fly on the wall!  Although, they will probably all be sitting around with their heads in their phones talking to each other via Snapchat, lol!  

Hope you all have a lovely weekend and thanks for dropping by!

TTFN
Bev x






No comments:

Post a Comment